First of all, it's important to know that disposable wedding cameras should NEVER replace professional photography at your wedding or reception. They simply are not that reliable and they are completely dependent on the skill of the wedding guest who picks it up to take the photo. You definitely don't want to trust all of your wedding memories to that.
However, disposable wedding cameras DO have an important place at your event. When used correctly, you will get to see things after the wedding that you never knew happened!
Ideas To Make the Best Use Of Disposable Cameras
- Include at least one disposable camera at each reception table (including the head table) and leave instructions with it. Who says you have to use the instruction card that comes with the camera? Make up your own ... and be creative!
At my wedding I left instructions with the cameras so my guests knew I wanted a picture of every person (or couple) from the table. When I had these developed after the wedding, I included a copy of each person's picture with my thank you note to them.
- Include a disposable camera in your out-of-town guest's gift baskets in their hotel rooms. Again, leave a note with instructions! There will be people in town for your wedding that aren't part of the pre-wedding festivities. Tell them to take pictures of what they do over the wedding weekend and to leave the camera with someone you designate at the wedding. You'll love to see what your out-of-town guests were doing while you were wrapped up in your wedding festivities!
- Give a couple of disposable cameras to a dependable groomsman to capture what the groom and the boys are doing BEFORE the wedding ceremony ... and tell him to have fun with it! The photographer captures the bride getting ready ... but s/he can't be in two places at once. You will love what you see when these are developed. My husband was captured with his head in the toilet before our ceremony (staged of course ... but FUNNY!)
- Give a couple of disposable cameras to the bridesmaids while you all are getting ready. The photographer will take beautiful and professional images ... but what about before the photographer arrives? And after s/he moves on to the guys?
- Having a golf outing for the guys or spa day for the girls? Make sure you provide disposable cameras to a couple of dependable participants ... and give them instructions! Girls may be good about remembering their own cameras, but men forget. You want to see and capture all of the special "moments" from your wedding outings, too!
It may sound expensive, but it's really not too bad. You do have to purchase the disposable cameras, but you don't have to pay to have all these cameras developed! Just send them to an online processor like Snapfish or the Kodak Gallery. They will load all the images from the cameras online for you see. The cost is minimal. Then, you can pick and choose which ones you actually want to order. You can even share these galleries with your friends and family so they can order the "candids" too!
A lot goes on during the wedding festivities and the photographer is going to be focused on telling the story, on you, the groom, your immediate family, and the bridal party. Imagine what you may be missing!